Ayurvedic Guidelines for Daily Routine: Living in Sync with Nature’s intelligence
Ayurveda recommends a healthy, consistent daily routine (Dinacharya) based on the 3 pillars of health, (including proper digestion and elimination, proper rest and sleep, and moderation/discipline in lifestyle) which is Synched with the cycles of Nature, including the daily circadian rhythm cycle, seasonal cycles or cycles of Aging.
A regular practice like above which is synced with the Intelligence of Nature, is more potent and helpful than medicine, by bringing the body, mind, emotions, and spiritual elements back to balance. It also helps rest the nervous system by decreasing decision fatigue by following a grounding, soothing, healing, personalized routine which is in contrast with present hectic and unsettling lifestyle.
The Ayurvedic routine creates a series of comforting reference points throughout the day which are very reassuring and rejuvenating to the cellular intelligence and the nervous system, a much needed, welcome break.
So, all of us are welcome to start living with some more self-care, filled with love and compassion towards ourselves, as much as we offer it to the outside world.
You can start practicing couple of these tiny habits gradually and make it manageable for yourself, rather than overwhelming. You can pick up the habits which you feel comfortable doing on a regular basis, or just try them for fun.
Stay committed and relaxed, add things realistically, be predictable and well-paced.
Remember to have self-compassion all through the process!
Here are the brief recommendations below:
- Wake up before Sunrise, which is the perfect time for the nature’s quietude, light and peaceful energies.
- Eliminate in the morning to help with early detoxification (bowels and urination)
- Wash face and eyes with a cool splash of water to drive away the remnant drowsiness and induce freshness.
- Drink a glass of pure warm water with lemon juice on rising to promote detoxification.
- Sit down to meditate, enjoy the stillness outside and within, say a prayer, or focus on your breath for a few minutes.
- Be grateful, reflecting on the blessings in your life.
- Clean tongue by scraping 3-5 times, back to front to help detoxify
- Oil pulling for 2-5 minutes after or before brushing your teeth. Massage gums.
- Nasya, lubricate nasal passages, or practice nasal rinsing.
- Practice Yoga, or Stretch and flex your body, to 50% of your capacity.
- Self-massage with the right kind of oils, try to massage all body parts
- Take a nice warm shower to rinse off excess oils, with minimal soap use
- Eat 3 consistent timed meals a day, or as per your true hunger.
- Eat foods which are seasonally appropriate and as per your body type and imbalance.
- Try to include all 6 tastes into your meals
- Try to minimize snacking in between meals.
- Eat mindfully, in a pleasant state of mind , with loved ones
- Eat while sitting comfortably
- Try to eat when truly hungry
- Avoid eating when angry or upset
- Largest meal preferably at noon, medium breakfast and earlier, lighter dinner.
- Establish a consistent, predictable work and rest schedule.
- Focus on cleaning and decluttering your work and home environment to facilitate good energetic flow.
- Develop mutually nurturing relations in your interaction with others during the day
- Be of service to others when possible.
-Evening and bedtime
- Allow time for proper rest and winding down as needed.
- Perform the evening routine of brushing, cleaning face and massaging feet etc.
- Sit down to meditate, say a prayer, do body scanning, progressive muscle relaxation or focus on your breath for a few minutes.
- Be grateful, reflecting on the blessings during your day.
- Try to establish a consistent bedtime, preferably by 10 pm, to honor the cyclical energies of nature.
Nice posts 🙂